Remarketing is a marketing technique where we show ads to people who click on our ad but didn’t take action (e.g. Sign Up, Email-Subscription, Purchase, PDF-Download etc.) on our landing page. There are two types of remarketing i.e. website visitors and email or mobile numbers list. In first type when you run a Google Adwords campaign, users click on your text or banner ad and they land on your web page or landing page and bounce back (move away) without taking any action (action means you select specific goal like sign up, blog subscription, pdf download etc.). Google Adwords system automatically tracks cookies of users through browsers and shows ads them frequently unless and until users clear cookies or take any action on landing page. In second type, user’s data (email and mobile number) is collected when user takes action on landing page then Google Adwords system automatically shows ads to those users who use their Gmail IDs or mobile numbers associated with Gmail and other Google Accounts.
The remarketing feature was available on display network only but now Google Adwords has made it open to advertisers who run search network ads. One advertiser from US run two campaigns recently with remarketing and non-remarketing ad group and then compared result of both the ad groups.
Let’s see the result of search network remarketing campaign:
They created the two ad group for remarketing and non-remarketing campaign and result was quite good as CTR, CPC and Cost Per Conversion were outstanding. The CTR is doubled and Cost Per Conversion is 2.5 time less then non-remarketing campaign.
Why it is Worthy?
- It will definitely help ecommerce portals as they have opportunity to market thousands of products.
- It will also help electronic gadgets providers as they will keep on showing latest products to users through remarketing campaign.
- It will give better CPC and CTR.
- It will generate enquiries at better cost.
- It will prevent unnecessary impressions if you want to introduce new products.
- It will time saving activity.
- It will help for companies who introduce new products or services frequently.
Why it is not worthy?
- It doesn’t drive new users if you have limited remarketing listed users.
- It will hardly help one-time service providers like software, event management, wedding-clothing, security services etc. as they wouldn’t have new products or services to introduce.
- It may drive non-qualitative leads as these users were not interested and suddenly shown interest in your product or services.
- It may not reach to interested audience if they have their cleared cookies.
- The Quality of Leads & ROI of campaign is still questionable.
- It will not drive new conversions if you have limited web users.
Why Display Remarketing is Better than Search Network Remarketing?
Display network is association of millions of websites and millions of impressions for display campaign so we can have a huge bucket to target users based on their interest and behavior. Display remarketing system knows which kind of content is consumed by users based on their age group, sex, behavior, interest etc. If you compare the exposure of campaign with search and display network then display has higher exposure than search network (may be 100 times better than search network) as audience bucket is huge.
Main Blog Image Source: dimaco.vn
Display Remarketing Image: jumixdesign.com
Adwords Example Image: searchenginewatch.com
Remarketing List for Search Network will definitely get popular and adapted by advertisers worldwide but will not become strong adwords marketing when advertisers calculate ROI. Search Network Remarketing will be adopted by ecommerce portals first and they will definitely get benefit out of it but it will not help that much to service providers.